In these sections, you can learn a little more about who are, what we do, and what we believe. To learn about specific opportunities for service, learning, or faith development, please go to the CONNECT tab.
The mission of Westminster Presbyterian Church is:
- to proclaim and share the good news of Jesus Christ
- to be a welcoming and nurturing Christian community
- to gather to worship God with reverence, joy and beauty
- to seek a deeper relationship with God through prayer, study and fellowship
- to respond to human needs, witnessing to God’s love and compassion day by day
- to foster justice, promote human rights, and advance peace in our neighborhood, our city, and our world
- to join with others in this mission.
A Brief History
As neighborhoods on Portland’ s east side began to expand after the opening of the first bridge, a few members of First Presbyterian Church (downtown) began in 1889 to discuss founding an east-side church. The fledgling congregation worshipped in a restaurant and firehouse until a wood and stone building was designed for them in 1894 at N.E. 10TH & Weidler Streets by architect F. Manson White.
By 1910 the congregation had outgrown this building and discussions began about relocating. Led by Westminster member and noted Portland architect A.E. Doyle the committee chose the firm of Ellis F. Lawrence to design the new sanctuary. Construction began in 1912, and the church was dedicated on Easter Sunday, May 1914.
In 1953 a two-story brick and stone Education Wing was added along N.E.16th Street, designed by Lawrence, Tucker & Wallman. Senior partner Abbot Lawrence was a son of Ellis Lawrence. With the 1929 two-story stone office addition on N.E. Schuyler Street the three buildings formed a semi-enclosed “cloister” surrounding a courtyard and playground for children.